This week I’m going to share with you the recipe of coffee/mocha shortbread. I searched the internet a lot in order to fine some coffee based eggless baked recipe and I came across this recipe from Martha Stuart’s blog. I’ve changed a little bit based on the ingredients I had at my disposal but the end result for was great nevertheless. I hope you enjoy it as well.
Coffee/ Mocha Shortbread
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 16 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (Room Temp.)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Instant Expresso Powder / Normal Coffee Powder ( You might have to adjust your coffee powder depending upon how strong you would like the coffee taste to be)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Whisk Together Flour, Cocoa Powder & salt in a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat butter on a medium speed for about 5 minutes until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat it again at low speed for about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, stir in the coffee powder along with the vanilla extract and then add it to the butter mixture and beat it again until smooth for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat it at low speed for about 1 minute until everything is nicely combined.
- Add the dark chocolate chips into it and mix it well or you can also beat it at very low speed.
- Press the dough evenly into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan lined with baking paper. Cover the baking pan with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it until firm, at least upto 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 175 C. Use a knife and cut the dough into even pieces. Use a fork to poke holes into the dough.
- Bake until 30-35 mins and check it should be little firm when you touch it. Once baked let it cool on a wire wrack for about 10 minutes. It will further harden up once it gets cooled down. So use your judgement when to get the baking tray out of the oven.
- Recut the bars and they can be stored for up until 3 weeks in an airtight container. ( I was a bit late in recutting the bars and by that time it all cooled down hence I got very uneven pieces so make sure you don’t make the same mistake)
I hope you all liked this recipe. Please share and subscribe this blog for many more easy recipes and also do share your experience.