I know it’s been a while since I have posted anything on my blog. Just got caught with the mundane life activities. However, this current lockdown situation has given me some time to explore and learn a new skill set. I have been adventurous enough to try out new recipes and experiment a little with cooking and baking.
In this post, I’ll be sharing mine Eggless Millionaire’s Caramel Shortbread recipe. If you are an amateur cook like me and have a sweet tooth, then this recipe is definitely worth trying. It’s super easy and all you need is a bit of patience and time.
Millionaire’s Caramel Shortbread (Eggless)
Ingredients for Short Bread
- 250gms All purpose flour
- 75 gms Castor Sugar (Powdered Sugar works well too)
- 175gms Softened Butter (I used salted butter as I don’t like my desserts sickly sweet. But if you want you can choose unsalted butter as well)
Ingredients for Caramel
- 100 gms of Butter (Salted/Unsalted)
- 100 gms of Brown Sugar
- 2 Cans (400gms) of Condensed Milk
Ingredients for Chocolate Topping
- 200 gms of dark or milk chocolate (I personally used 70% dark chocolate to cut off some of the sweetness from the caramel and balance the flavour)
- Heat the oven to 180 Celsius.
- Place a baking sheet on a 33 x 23cm baking tin and lightly grease it with butter.
- To make the shortbread, mix 250gms of all purpose flour, 75 gms of castor sugar and 175gms of butter in a food processor and mix it thoroughly in a low setting.
- The mixture should come together in the form of little crumbly bits.
- Pour this crumbled mixture into the baking tin and with the help of your hands press the mixture into the base of the prepared tin.
- Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork and bake it for 20 mins or until it is firm to touch and very lightly browned. Leave it to cool in the tin.
- To make the caramel, place the 100gms of butter, 100gms of brown sugar and 2 cans (400gms) of condensed milk in a pan and heat it gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring it to the boil and continuously stir it. Reduce the heat and let it simmer with continuous stirring for about 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Pour the mixture over the now cool shortbread and leave it in the fridge to cool down and set.
- For the topping, melt the 200 gms of dark chocolate slowly in a bowl over a double boiler.
- Pour it over the cold caramel and leave it again in the fridge to set.
- Once properly set, cut it into squares and serve.
- Store it in the fridge.
Usually when I make this recipe I half it as I prefer thin layers rather than thick sweet layers and I find it that the balance is better if you half the whole recipe. But it all depends on your personal choice.
I hope you all find this recipe interesting. Please do let me know if you try it.
Happy Cooking/ Baking